Climate Policy Manager Germany (f/m/d)
Who we are:
The Bellona Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to meet and fight the climate challenges, through identifying and implementing sustainable environmental solutions. Founded in 1986 as a direct-action protest group, we have become a recognized evidence-based and solution-oriented organisation with offices in Oslo, Brussels, and Russia, and activities across other countries, including Germany, the Netherlands, Central-Eastern Europe, the USA and the UK. Altogether, some 70 engineers, ecologists, nuclear physicists, economists, lawyers, political scientists and journalists work at Bellona. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world in order to reach a greater ecological understanding and a better protection of nature and health.
Achieving net-zero emissions before mid-century requires every aspect of our lives to become climate neutral. Being Europe’s largest industrial nation, Germany’s role on this path will be decisive. Germany has the unique chance to build a competitive climate neutral industry. But will it succeed?
As an organization, Bellona has always been at the forefront of environmental innovation. Being a group of evidence-based environmentalists, our goal is to implement new, more sustainable actions, which can effectively reduce CO2 emissions and that are implementable today. We advocate for pragmatic approaches, but do not shy away from ignored and contentious issues and we act as a watch dog against greenwashing. From our Oslo and Brussels offices, we have been advocating transformative climate action in industry for decades. Given the paramount importance of Germany for industrial transformation, we are now expanding our work in Germany and creating soon our office in Berlin.
We are looking for a motivated, experienced and communicative professional in climate policy and sustainability to work with our Head of Germany Programs on building Bellona Germany. The ideal candidate will be :
- experienced in analyzing climate and environmental policy, ideally regulations related to industry
- knowledgeable in relevant climate technologies (e.g. energy systems, electrification, hydrogen, carbon capture)
- excellent at networking and communication
- proficient in German and English
- willing and able to travel occasionally
There is no specific degree requirement. As the work is highly interdisciplinary, the best candidate could hold a degree in politics, business or law and have a proven record of deep diving in relevant technical issues or hold a degree in engineering or natural sciences and have a proven record of effectively dealing with regulatory, political and business issues
- Support the Head of Germany Programs in managing the day-to-day of Bellona’s engagements in Germany
- Support the Head of Germany Programs in developing and executing action plans to affect the upcoming climate policy processes in Germany, especially as related to transformative climate action in industry
- Track, analyze and evaluate relevant climate and industrial policy developments at the Federal and Länder level
- Shape Bellona’s responses to relevant policy consultations by bringing Bellona’s experience and constructive solution-oriented approach into the German debate as well as by bringing a German perspective into the Bellona work at EU level and in Norway
- Manage Bellona’s stakeholder relations and help to expand Bellona’s network in Germany by building strong relationships with politicians, government officials, company representatives and other relevant stakeholders
- Support the Head of Germany Programs with the strategic development of Bellona’s engagements in Germany, growing the industrial transformation team as well as expanding to other topics in the future
We are able to offer a full-time position based in Berlin (remote work for now) with a competitive NGO salary on an initial one-year contract with the expectation of extension, starting asap.
How to apply? Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: Only one PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to our HR mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Mrs Erika Bellmann, Head of Germany Programs, indicating ‘Bellona Germany application’ in the subject line, by the 8th of May 2021 EOD at the latest. Also, kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.
Note: Being eligible to reside and work in Germany is required.
läuft aus am