Media Relations & Public Affairs Manager
Joining Intuitive Surgical means becoming part of an organization that strives to make surgery more effective, less invasive and easier on surgeons, patients and their families.
Primary Function of Position:
As a member of the Global Public Affairs team, the Manager of Media Relations & Public Affairs is responsible for contributing to all facets of the team’s mission to protect and promote the company. The primary focus of the role is to develop and execute a strategic media relations program for our business in Germany, including: disseminating the corporate narrative while pursuing proactive positive media coverage; serving as a company media spokesperson in Germany; working cross functionally with subject matter experts in Germany and at European headquarters in Aubonne, as well as at corporate headquarters in the US; triaging media inquiries; drafting media statements, press releases and other press materials, working closely with media relations counterparts around the world to proactively share best practices and reactively manage crisis communications; and driving consistency of media messaging and positioning, while supporting functional development across the enterprise. The role is also responsible for supporting public affairs work in Germany, particularly supporting the German Government Affairs strategy, as well as 3rd-party advocacy and engagement with other stakeholder audiences. The role will also support thought-leadership and conference participation in Germany, and may in the future support corporate social media.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position, which will be located in Germany, will support the advancement of the Global Public Affairs team, which includes the following responsibilities:
- Execute against the comprehensive media relations and public affairs strategy together with, and as part of, the Global Public Affairs team. Contribute to the development of future GPA strategies in Germany.
- Triage day-to-day media inquiries and respond accordingly.
- Manage the day-to-day relationship with our German media relations/PR agency, under the direction of the Sr. Manager of Media Relations, Europe.
- Draft and update media statements and additional press materials in real-time to respond to media inquiries and manage the internal approval process with – as needed – GPA in HQ; German leadership, legal, regulatory and/or clinical affairs.
- Develop key media relationships; proactively pitch stories.
- Provide media counsel and training to internal spokespeople, including executives, as required.
- Ensure consistency of corporate messaging and positioning within the German market, while tailoring responses as appropriate to address cultural nuances.
- Mine proactive story-telling opportunities within the German market and pitch accordingly.
- Develop strong relationships with marketing, legal, compliance, investor relations, clinical and sales management teams to ensure alignment.
- Attend surgical/medical/thought-leadership conferences – as required – to provide media relations support.
- Draft materials required to help communicate the company’s policy positions and/or in support of the German government affairs strategy in conjunction with the Director of Government Affairs.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, especially ability to express key points quickly, clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work independently yet in coordination with GPA team members in different countries.
- Responsive and focused on executing in a fast-paced environment.
Writing and Editing
Demonstrated superior writing and editing skills; including but not limited to: press releases, media plans, statements, and materials; corporate decks, thought-leadership presentations and clinical and policy communications.
- Previous experience in a healthcare company: medical device, pharmaceutical, biotech; or a similarly regulated industry.
- Previous experience working for a US or foreign-based company.
- Previous experience working within a corporate matrixed environment is preferred.
- Understanding key industry issues related to: innovative technologies, robotic-assisted surgery diagnostics, reimbursement, and competition is preferred.
- Experience in policy communications and thought-leadership/conference strategy is preferred.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must be:
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in media relations and PR, with at least half of that in a corporate environment.
- Experience educating colleagues about best practices in media relations/PR under the rubric of a Global Public Affairs function in order to build trust and credibility.
- Demonstrated experience effectively working with print, broadcast and on-line/digital media.
- Experience working in a global corporate environment.
- Superior writing, editing and persuasion skills.
- Deadline oriented and able to work effectively within tight deadlines to meet media requests.
- Experience in providing strategic counsel during time-sensitive situations.
- Willing to contribute to projects that fall outside of core responsibilities, as needed.
- Able to execute effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter who is able to manage day-to-day operations while remaining in constant contact with direct Supervisor.
- Extensive media relations, PR, corporate communications and/or journalism experience required.
- Interested in or experience in the medical device, healthcare or technology sectors.
- Must be fluent in English and German.
- Degree from an accredited university or college.
- Regular travel throughout Germany may be required; plus intermittent travel to Aubonne and US, as needed.
läuft aus am